Weird Food Mash-Ups

At least the baccala sounds a bit better than lutefisk, which the Norwegians up here just love, and I would never touch. Tis dried cod or whitefish, treated with lye. The fish is soaked for 4 or 5 days in cold water, constantly changing water, then in the lye for 2-3 days, and back to cold water for a couple of days. Sorry......I just did not want to know any more after that. LOL However, huge holiday treat for the Norwegians up here.

I should have posted in this topic earlier :)

It's been awhile since I had one, but I like cottage cheese sandwiches.
Something my mom used to eat.

I like olive and pickle juice.

rs, I still have some Pillsbury microwave biscuits, they don't
make them anymore.

I don't like Miracle Whip. Some of the other stuff here I wouldn't
eat either, but everyone has their favorites.

Lye??? Isn't that used in cleaners? Count me out.

I think lye is used to make soap. Around here it is also used to make hominy. I believe to remove the outer layer of kernels of corn so the inside will puff up and be soft. It is washed after the process.

I was out looking at my tomato plants this morning and thinking about having some tomato gravy with biscuits. Some people find that strange.

Tomato gravy and biscuits sounds good.
I like cottage cheese but can't imagine how it would taste on a sandwich.
I haven't had hominy in ages. Guess maybe I won't run out and buy any, after being reminded of the lye.
Oh no, not in black olives! I like them.
On the other hand, maybe lye would kill the smell and taste of lutefisk. I guess I'd starve to death if I had to go live in a community where fish and seafood rule.

I'm not much into fish, either, but love shrimp, crab, oysters, crayfish, etc. I don't like black olives, just the green ones, lol. I wonder what makes people have different tastes??

The way we were raised, I guess. And, I think I read that people can have differing taste buds, most notably those having to do with bitterness. Broccoli, for example, really does taste badly to some kids; they're not faking it. A lot of the time this changes with maturity. I still haven't grown up enough to like Brussel sprouts, though, LOL!

Back