Downton Abbey Season 4

Redsquirrel...I'm with you! I love Mondays and reading all the thoughts on what might happen down the road...I sooo have to refrain from saying, no don't worry, or just wait!

Shame on you, wanting to see a whole season ahead. LOLOL. I have read about the last episode so I do know some. LOL. But then, I am one of those folks who gets half way thru a book, then goes and reads the last page. Oh, yes, just the last page. Just wanting to know if my couple ends up together, or if certain people are still alive, or in jail, etc.
But I still want to gasp, jaw drop, laugh , roll eyes so....as much as I love spoilers..I am willing to wait and watch. LOL

Last season I accidentally read the scenarios for coming episodes on imdb and read about Sybil's funeral. It broke my heart, so now I refrain from looking for those kinds of spoilers. When I watched Days on a regular basis I read the spoilers as a defensive measure in reaction to bad writing and character assassination.

I do love Anna and Bates, I felt so sorry for him because he feels so helpless! I had a feeling he was telling a fib that he would do nothing to the rapist! NOW this a LOVE STORY. I laugh to myself that the royals are down to earth, they treat their staff like members of the family, but the staff are the uppity ones in the castle! Did Mary meet her new husband tonight?

I'm glad Bates knows. I hope he will calm down. He's angry, but
killing someone won't fix what happened. Hopefully, the
visiting valet do it to someone else and get caught.

So who stole the letter opener? Will it be Dowger's
own butler? Then Molesley will get a butler job :)

I think new maid for Cora is Baxter. Is she related
to Thomas?

That is what I was wondering as well. Is she a sister to Thomas? A good friend? Someone he formerly worked with?

I am glad Bates knows at last as well. Anna was reticent in order to protect him, knowing the kind of man he is, how much he loves her.

Poor Mrs. Patmore......First an electric mixer, then an electric sewing machine, and now, for heaven's sakes, a refrigerator!!!! LOL

Oh I love this show!!!!! Was at my Sister's yesterday and she filled me in on a lot of who people are and their stories....but I do have to ask... Why don't Lady Grantham (Maggie Smith) and Mrs. Crawley (I think that is her name) like each other?

Class distinction. They have "ladders" of class. Mrs. Crawley is on a lower one, apparently.
Lady Grantham (Maggie Smith) is Violet, Mrs. Crawley is Isobel. (That is how I keep them straight.

I love Violet (Lady Grantham) and Isobel (Mrs. Crawley) little talks every week, the one speaking is always right, and sometimes there discussions get a little heated, they make me laugh!

Ya I knew they were of different classes, but didn't know what the conflict was about....so that makes sense. Love their jabs!! But sometimes I have no idea what they are saying! LOL!

The main conflict between Violet and Isobel began because of the line of inheritance for Downton Abbey and the title of Lord Grantham.

The heir to Robert's title of Lord Grantham was a passenger on the Titanic, and perished when it sank. The next male in line for the title was an older male nephew. A search was made for him, and it was found that he had died. Isobel's son, Matthew, was the next male relative as Robert's nephew.
Violet was opposed to Matthew inheriting Downton Abbey. In theory, he could've turned the rest of the Crawley's out on their rears when Robert dies. Instead, he had to be talked into even moving to a home on the property.
If Matthew had not accepted the line of inheritance, they all would've been turned out anyway since the King would've had to name a new Lord Grantham. The properties would've been transferred to that person, and the Crawley's would've only been left with their own money.

With the death of Matthew, his and Mary's son will become Lord Grantham upon the death of Robert.

Patrick (the heir who died on the Titanic) was not the son of Robert and Cora. The plan was for Mary to marry Patrick and therefore keep the estate "safe" for the rest of the immediate family. Patrick was [I think] a distant nephew.

I, too, wonder what the connection is between Thomas and Baxter. Thomas seems to have some kind of hold over her. I hope she doesn't turn out to be another O'Brien!

I love, love, love Anna and Mr. Bates. So glad they are back together -- but am worried for them.

Well, Baxter thanked Thomas for getting her the position. She said she liked it, but felt he wanted something. He admitted he does, wants to know what is going on/being talked about "upstairs".
He also mention Mrs. O'Brian had info, but did not like him. LOL, as Baxter told him no one likes him. Ha.

I think the main issues between Violet and Isobel, have more to do with ideology than class. Yes Isobel is a step or two down from the aristocracy (closer to the emerging upper middle class), but like Mathew, its her ideology that distinguishes her from the other Crawleys. She married into that family and instilled more progressive ideals into her son which initially had him considering rejecting the entire inheritance and lead to the early and later conflicts with Mary. Remember how Matthew initially didn't even want to allow his valet to help him dress, and Isobel insisted on finding a job for herself? I'd also say that both women have truly come to appreciate one another over the years, and are now more friends than foes. They truly value each others varied perspectives.

You have a point. And when anyone wants something done, or look for a way to get something done, found out, etc. They go to Isabel. LOL

Back